By Shannon Gwamna
The Director General National Broadcasting Commission (NBC), Balarebe IIelah said there is no squabble between his commission and Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed.
IIeIah made the disclosure yesterday during an interview with journalists in Abuja.
He said the speculation going round concerning him with Minister of Information are fake news.
“ NBC is a parastatal under the ministry of Information and culture and the commission is very loyal to him as our minister.
“ He is our supervising minister and his work is to supervise us, and we are responsible for the day to day running of the organization”.
The DG clearly stated that, ”the commission has never disobeyed the minister or refused to adhere to his instruction.
“These are all fake reporters going round to create an issue between us by saying I refuse to obey the minister’s instruction last week Thursday, in Lagos.”
The NBC boss gave more insight on the 10billon Naira loan given by the federal government for Digital Switch Over(DSO).
He explained that “the money was supposed to be sent to NBC under the directives of the minister but at that time, there was no substantial director general.
“I think that was why the minister decided to send the money to the ministry. Also, no money was housed in any private account. I can’t imagine a minister of such caliber sending it to his personal account.
“This money that we are talking about is not from his ministry but Ministry of Finance, which cannot send that money to his private account. It is just impossible, and common sense should explain that.
”Also, there was no instruction at any time given to me by the minister for any 10billion Naira. I have nothing to do with it and it is not my duty to write a memo of about 10 billion Naira,” he emphasized.
He maintained the Independent Corrupt Practise Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC), did not raid his office.
“Two officers came politely to do their professional job and asked the commission for some documents and we gave them.”
Meanwhile, IIelah noted that the DSO project is ongoing in six states and moving to kano soon.
“All the DSO contractors have been paid, only SES said they will not collect their money in naira but in dollars, and the minister and the government is working on the issue”.